Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Workin' in a Coal Mine

I've managed to find myself some gainful employment here in the bustling metropolis of 800 people that I'm calling home now. Please realize though, that I use the term "gainful" loosely. In fact I'm not using it in the sense of actual monetary gain, rather in the sense of less monetary loss versus not having a job, or two, or three. My current work situation could be seen as gainful though in the sense of entertainment and occupying time that would otherwise be spent worrying and twiddling my thumbs. The lucky establishments that I am gracing with my presence this winter include the glamorous K-Bar, the edifying Gardiner K-12 school, and the throwback Pine Creek School (three classrooms for K-8). Yes that is right, I'm a bar tender/pizza cook/substitute teacher. I have to say that it was somewhat inevitable that I would be a substitute teacher at some point in my life, and I've always been curious what it would be like to be a bar tender (the pizza making goes along with the bar tending duties). So the way I am looking at it is that this winter is a great opportunity to satisfy some curiosities before hopefully implementing my plan of permanent gainful employment by next fall.

The substituting is far less painful than I thought it would be - at least thus far. And the bar tending, well it can't really be explained fully unless you have actually been to the K-Bar. It would qualify as a full blown dive bar except that it also serves really good pizza. The place is a Southwestern Montana landmark. Personally I have been going there with the fam for over 20 years. It has a run-down, rural charm to it (i.e. there used to be bullet holes in the door). For better or worse a new owner is buying it and the K-Bar will cease to exist as I know it. It will become much nice, less dingy, and more touristy. In other words it will probably loose its well worn charm. I'm just thankful that I am able to experience it in all its glamor before the metamorphosis.

1 comment:

Trust in Steel said...

Enjoy the variety of jobs!