Monday, June 04, 2007

Week 4

I'm about to start week four at Devils Tower. My duties have not been fully implemented yet. The first two weeks were training - partially useful, partially mind-numbing. Fortunately in week three I started working at the visitor center and finally getting to wear my uniform. I actually really like wearing the uniform, especially the hat. Unfortunately though, we can't wear our hats indoors. I've found that people will believe almost anything you say if you have a uniform on. Working at the visitor center consists of standing behind a desk and answering questions. Most of the questions are about how to get somewhere or where the bathrooms are. But thankfully there are some people who ask substantive questions that actually take some explanation. I've found my week point to be birding questions. For example: "I just saw a stunning species of thrush. It had two wing bars, a grey breast, a darker back, and a shrill call. What's its name?" The only accurate response I could give was, "Yes, you definitely saw a bird."

When I'm not at the visitor center I have "project time" to work on my program. I've enjoyed this process this far, as I am allowed a lot of leeway in choosing a topic. My topic is NPS history and the challenge to balance preservation and use in the parks. Designing the program has been a nice opportunity to do some writing and research. I'm excited about the program, but I don't think it will be the most enthralling for the visitors unless they share my interest in it.

3 comments:

kungfuramone said...

Well, I don't know about that. You convey a lot of passion when you start talking about NPS history.

That said, perhaps you should punctuate your points with sweet break dance moves.

Rachel said...

so, you'll be giving talks to tourists then? I dunno, I think a lot of people who frequent national parks would be interested in such a topic.

Anonymous said...

Wow! When did you become a tourist guide at a national park? I really need to keep more up to date. Oh Why haven't you posted a pic of you in your uniform yet?! With the hat of course!